This versatile, homemade stock can be used to bump up the flavor in rice, soup, potatoes, and sauces.
- 1 whole chicken, cleaned.
- 3 carrots.
- 1 center bundle of celery.
- 1 head garlic.
- 1 large yellow onion.
- salt and pepper.
- Break up the head of garlic and slice each clove in half.
- Slice carrots into thirds.
- Slice celery into thirds. This is a great time to use up the leafy parts of the celery.
- Quarter onion, leaving on skin and roots.
- Add all vegetables to large pot. Place chicken on top. Fill pan with water and add seasonings.
- Cook on medium-low for about 3 hours.
- Lift out large pieces of veggies and meat, and strain the rest of the stock well.
- Put stock into large container and chill in refrigerator overnight. Skim fat off top. Put into jars and freeze for up to 3 months.