This is my absolute favorite soup. I have slightly deviated from the classic, but I think that it made it even better.
- 2 small/medium yellow onions or one large, sliced.
- 2 cloves garlic, minced.
- 3 cups beef stock.
- 1 cup red wine.
- Croutons, preferably homemade.
- 4 thin slices good swiss cheese.
- salt and pepper.
- olive oil.
- In very large cast iron skillet, heat a few tbsp olive oil on medium. Add onions.
- Cook for 20-25 minutes until caramelized. Do not add salt and do not stir very often.
- Add garlic, salt, pepper, thyme, and red wine and cook 1-2 minutes.
- Add stock and cook about 15 minutes, until the flavors are blended.
- Ladle soup into ramekins and add croutons and cheese.
- Put in oven under broiler on high for about 5 minutes.