- 8 Roma Tomatoes
- 5 cloves garlic, crushed and peeled.
- 1 bunch basil, about 2 tbsp chopped, the rest left as whole leaves.
- 1/4 cup olive oil.
- 1 tbsp butter.
- 12 oz spaghetti noodles.
- Salt and pepper.
- Boil a large pot of water and prepare an ice bath in a large bowl.
- Dunk tomatoes in water for about 1 minute, and then put into ice bath.
- Allow tomatoes to cool a bit, and then peel the skins off using your fingers.
- Put tomatoes into cast iron skillet and cook on low/medium heat, mashing with a potato masher until to desired smoothness (I prefer them to be left a bit chunky). The tomatoes will take about 30 minutes to cook down, so mash when you stir.
- In small pan, combine olive oil, garlic, and basil and heat on the lowest heat possible. It should take about 10-15 minutes until the garlic begins to sizzle. When that happens, remove the basil and garlic and reserve the infused olive oil.
- Bring water back up to a rolling boil, add salt and cook pasta until just shy of al dente.
- Add infused olive oil, salt, and pepper to sauce. Cook together for an additional 10 minutes, while pasta is cooking.
- Just before pasta is done, stir butter into sauce.
- Using tongs, lift pasta directly into sauce and add about 1/2 cup of the cooking water.
- Garnish with reserved basil and serve!